- This event has passed.
Louisvillians Who Lead; Open Doors Community Art Project
June 29, 2013 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
LVAA presents an exhibition highlighting the Louisvillians Who Lead project, part of LVAA’s OPEN DOORS community art outreach program. This exhibition will feature portraits of local leaders painted by Maryhurst and Bellewood Home for Children students.
Louisvillians Who Lead has been an ongoing project since 2008 with four installments and is based on theAmericans Who Tell the Truth project by artist Rob Shetterly.
• Students from Maryhurst and Bellewood are paired up with a civic leader.
• Next, they learn how to conduct an interview and proceed to interview their leader.
• After, the interview, the student learnshow to use a camera (manual and digital) to photograph
• The student paints a portrait of the leader based on their photograph and in the style of Rob Shetterly.
In the portrait they include one powerful/meaningful quote from the interview they conducted.
• Finally, the student writes an essay on their leader.
The goal of this several month-long project is to encourage and empower the students to imagine themselves ascending to similarly vital roles. This experience provides the students a unique opportunity to see the passion and heart it takes to be a leader.